Junior Tennis Initiative
JUNIOR TENNIS INITIATIVE
JTI is a 14 and Under development program run by KLTA and funded mostly by the ITF. Main aim of the program is for player development and increased participation in tennis. JTI uses the following to achieve these objectives:
- Tennis 10’s ( Tennis for 10 & Under kids in primary schools and clubs)
- Junior Development Tennis (Tennis for 12 – 14 years kids in primary/secondary/clubs)
- Junior Performance Tennis ( For most talented players in Tennis 10’s & Junior Development)
Tennis 10s is a supporting programme of the ITF Tennis Play and Stay campaign.
- It’s for players aged 10-and-under within Primary Schools and Clubs
- It’s played on smaller courts with slower Red, Orange and Green balls.
- It is a fun way to start tennis and makes it easy for children to play the game, develop good technique and tactics and a love for the sport.
JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT TENNIS
- Junior Tennis Development provides opportunities for children aged 11 to 18-years-old within Secondary Schools and Clubs to be introduced to tennis.
- Junior Tennis Development sessions are played with either the Green ball (Tennis10s) or with the Yellow ball, on a full size court
JUNIOR PERFORMANCE TENNIS
- Junior Performance Tennis focuses on players training in a performance environment.
- Most talented players are identified from Junior 10’s and Junior Development and put under performance training.
- Focus is on the training and competitive needs of the most talented players within the 14-and-under age group.
TEACHERS AND JUNIOR TENNIS
Teachers are an integral part of the programme and they are actively involved in JTI activities to encourage more varied and fun physical education lessons in schools at the same time increase tennis participation. KLTA distributes equipment used in schools/ clubs including: bats, rackets, foam balls, red, orange and green balls. The courts are scaled down and so are the nets used in the programmes. Sessions can take place on any flat playing field